Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Why is Missouri Called the "Show-Me" State?

Since Fort Knocks has graciously offered a humorous and enlightening post on the recent campaigns, I thought I would attempt to return the favor and answer a query of his regarding Missouri's questionable state nickname:

There are a number of stories and legends behind Missouri's sobriquet "Show-Me" state. The slogan is not official, but is common throughout the state and is used on Missouri license plates.
The most widely known legend attributes the phrase to Missouri's U.S. Congressman Willard Duncan Vandiver. In a speech there, he declared, "I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs. However the slogan originated, it has since passed into a different meaning entirely, and is now used to indicate the stalwart, conservative, noncredulous character of Missourians.

Yes I cut out a majority of the quote because between you and me, it doesnt really matter. Kinda like the campaigns.

2 comments:

Joe White said...

Thank you for that. I couldn't be less interested in the answer or more pleased that you decided to find it for me.

Kay Pea said...

what can i say...it was a slow day at work and to be honest, i've always wondered what it had to show me.