Monday, May 12, 2008

Little Irks

So I went for a run today. I'm trying this new thing called exercising to increase the endorphins to my brain and make me a happier, healthier person. But dont worry, I've still got the cigarettes if all else fails.

Anyway, as I was in shower after my run, for some reason, a draft was entering the bathroom and the shower liner kept sticking to my body. This is annoying on many levels. One, I cannot properly clean my body when there is a nasty old shower liner sticking to it. Two, everytime I swatted it off, it kept coming back on a completely different part of the body. Third, I tried to direct the shower head to keep a steady stream of water pushing the liner against the tub eliminating the stickiness problem but since the shower head was spraying in the direction of the liner, I had to get closer to the liner to stay under the water bringing me in contact again with the dreaded liner. I know there are starving children in India and thousands of Chinese students suffering from an earthquake and here I am, bitching about my shower liner. I am aware that my priorities are out of line here but seriously, this liner problem is just one of those things that irks me. Its like a misquito bite that wont go away and can't be cured with Benadryl.

We all have those things in our lives. Those little annoyances that, in the large scheme of things, are not worth it at all but they still just bother us enough to make us stand up and take note but not big enough to go on a crusade. Sometimes, they bother us just enough to write an entire blog post on.

Here are a few others:
-There are 6 steps from the street level to the door of my apartment. My mailbox is located next to my door. For some reason, my postman refuses to walk the stairs and leaves our mail in our neighbors mailbox on the street level. This annoys him, me and the rest of the residents of the 1713 block. Plus I dont want Jimmy to know which magazines I'm subscribing to.

-When other people open your mail. I am a Netflix member and a majority of the movies I get are for the apartment. However, please refrain from opening the envelopes until I get there. For two reasons: one, you (and you know who you are) consistently rip the return envelopes in the wrong way and refuse to follow directions and two, I dont want to be subject to explaining my movie choices to a judgmental, un-informed movie police.

-Leaving laundry. This is a minor detail. It happens to the best of us. But seriously, if you throw a load in knowing full well that you are leaving for the afternoon and the better part of the evening, where is the logic in that? Granted it is not hard for me to put your clothes in the dryer but what about when I accidently shrink your favorite mu-mu or have to sort through some questionable stained underwear or your wide array of colorful thongs? Awkward level: HIGH. And for the record, this applies to more than one person.

So, what bothers you?

3 comments:

Lagartija said...

Hey, does your shower curtain liner have those magnets to weight it down, or I think you can get suction cups on the bottom to stick it to the tub. Try this one on Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Mold-Mildew-Resistant-Shower-Curtain/dp/B0002U37GM

It's got the suction cups.


What's irking me right now? Jimmy keeps trying to wipe his runny nose on non-kleenex items. Earlier I caught him rubbing his face on the sofa (Thank goodness it's leather and wipes down) NOW he just wiped it on MY sleeve and when I yelled, "No!" he then tried to wipe it on the computer chair. I keep trying to redirect him to kleenex, but he's got issues with the tissues. Time to break out the big guns and let him carry around my prized packet of soccerball imprinted kleenex.

mags said...

Old people who act all sympathetic like I'm an old maid cuz I'm 25 and unmarried.

People who have no business meddling in my affairs but do it anyways.

The TV Girl said...

People who use a photo of their child/children as their profile picture on Facebook/MySpace. It makes me want to rip out my own uterus so that I will never be in danger of relinquishing my entire personality to a non-rational being.

And men wearing jean shorts.