Thursday, April 24, 2008

Extra, Extra

So this week, I've winked and waved at James Van Der Beek and been "in a scene" with this star of TV's October Road. My scene will probably end up on the cutting room floor but being on a film set of a legit production is very cool. Now, I promised myself that I wouldnt get all giddy and brag about my experiences but honestly, it is very cool especially when you are actually interested in that line of work. To see directors, producers, and actors all doing there thing and right in front of you is a very flattering thing. Its like they are dangling the forbidden fruit right before your eyes but you can't touch it even though the illusion of it "being at your fingertips" is ever present.

Such is the life of an extra. Or so I'm told. I dont know if its the fact that real movie stars are in such close proximity or if the lights are too bright but I swear, every person I met started talking about their work and what movies they were in and who they met and who they saw. I even fell into it saying, "Oh yeah, that film, I was working in the casting department for that picture." It was sickening. I'm kind of ashamed of myself. But seriously, it was like an unwritten rule--I had a conversation with a guy and when I asked him if this was his first time being an extra, he sighed and said, "Oh no, honey," and then proceeded to whip out his resume and profile and pictures of all the films he'd done. When I say done, I mean, been an extra in. Another lady told me that "this one director actually gave me direction and told me that I was doing a good job. I think he really liked my look." Or another young buck started to lecture me on the benefits of joining the SAG and whether or not Robert Downey Jr.'s career was over. Another lectured me on the "language of a hot set" and said we can breathe a sigh of relief when the AD calls out "check the gate." And still, another remarked on the perkiness of the PA's. "These PAs are so much nicer than the ones on (certain film). Those PAs were all from LA and they were mean." There were a few star struck girls who waited around for James to finish lunch so they could take a picture. Unfortunately, after lunch, James went right into a production meeting and the adolescents were unintentionally ignored.

Anyway, it was fun day and fun way to make some money.

1 comment:

mags said...

Dude, you're practically gonna be like... famous...