Monday, March 10, 2008

Garish Gewgaws

I love words. That is why I subscribe to the Dictionary.com's Word of the Day. I am aware that this is useless information but consider me in a giving mood and take this info and store it in the "random knowledge of Asiankp that one day when I meet her I can bring it up so we have something to talk about" part of your brain.

Anyway, the word of the day last Friday was gewgaw. Yes, it is a real word meaning worthless trinkets or objects of little or no meaning or value. As in, unsuspecting folks eagerly purchase garish gewgaws. Its no surprise that the origin of gewgaw is unknown.

However, this word made me think of the Bluth family. If I were a member of the Bluth family, my contribution to the "chicken" impression would be to hop around on one foot screaming, "Gewgaw...gewgaaaw....geewgaaaawww...." and so on and so forth. I'd be happy to demonstrate. I'm starting to worry that TV is slowly creeping in and overtaking my reality.

4 comments:

Joe White said...

coo-coo ka-chaa! coo-coo ka-chaa!

Matt G said...

I'm going to leave a little gewgaw of a comment since I never comment on your blog and you comment on mine like a champ. The problem is that by the time I have a chance to get online, which is not incredibly frequent, you, mags and severaly others have a bunch of posts, and I am already occupied trying to write some blogness of my own. Excuses excuses. Hope all is well.

mags said...

I read that gewgaws were originally jewjaws because people stereotyped jewish people as generally keeping numerous trinkets and knicknacks about. But then WWII and the Holocost happened and everyone felt a little uncomfy with all things jeweotyped, so the PC movement came along and said, "This simply will not do." and changed it to gewgaws. You should've done a little research before you posted.

Kay Pea said...

Where did you get that info? Wikipedia? Well, thats lame.