Wednesday, January 30, 2008

There Will Be Blah...

So I just went to see Daniel Day Lewis' movie, There Will Be Blood. Intense, with a capital i. I'm not sure I followed all the themes and I have yet to read Upton Sinclair's novel, Oil, which supposedly served as inspiration for the film. The movie is intense from the start. The first 10 minutes are absolutely silent and it merely shows D.D. Lewis digging, sleeping, digging, grunting, falling, moaning, breathing, crying, smoking, staring and digging again. However boring these mindless activities may seem, watching him do it onscreen is still captivating. The movie makes some interesting points about faith, family and greed. And on the whole, the character of Daniel Plainview is something of a demagogue. He is a man slowly building a portfolio of wealth only to have it consume and ruin him as a human being. It is fascinating to watch his demise.

The ending left me feeling blah. And like I wanted to punch someone. The whole movie borders on this psychotic behavior waiting to bust open and when you are finally released from your seat and from the theater, all you want to do is vent your energy somehow, preferably in the form of violence. But not to worry, all I did was smoke a cigarette much to the chagrin of my fellow movie-going buddy.

Anyway, this movie is not for the faint of heart. It does have moments of humor though and watching Paul Dano as an evangelical preacher after his near mute performance in Little Miss Sunshine is certainly a treat. But the real story is Daniel Day Lewis. I dont know how the man does it but he pours his heart and soul and body into this role so much so that you wonder what the real Daniel is like due to his intense Method acting. Overall, you should check it out. Beware it moves slowly but the slow pace has a purpose since you are witnessing the rise and fall of a singular man over 30 years.

And, to TV Girl, I started writing that post on October Road. I call it, "October Road or henceforth to be known as the Show That Made Me Want to Cut off My Legs (0)." More to come later...

No comments: