Saturday, January 12, 2008

Baby-Cam and Married Peoples

Tonight I babysat for a family that has a baby monitor with a video screen. It was the weirdest thing ever. It was just like all the other regular baby monitors but it had a video screen attached that was connected to a camera hidden in the baby's room and positioned on the crib so if the baby cries, you can look and see whats going on before you run into the room. Which is weird on several levels.

Also, I have an issue with married people. I'm sure this is going to be taken out of context but I know ALOT of married people. Some of them are great friends of mine and will always be great friends but some of them, upon getting married, become detached in a way and somewhat haughty about their remaining single friends. Do I think they do this out of spite? Absolutely not. I do however feel that there is a sort of mindset that they enter, and rightfully so, they are now part of another, 2 becoming 1, etc. , but I have found that some of them adopt a wholly indifferent mindset towards the singletons of the world. It is a mindset that they, perhaps adopt subconsciously, but it is still annoying and, in certain cases, rude. For example, the couple that I was babysitting for was hosting a couples with children workshop. Upon entering the room, a couple that I know eyed me, took me aside and said, "Asiankp, what in the world are you doing here?" I resisted saying that I got married Vegas and was pregnant and just smiled and said something about being there to babysit. With (and I swear I saw it) a sigh of relief, they said, "Oh that makes sense. We didnt think you were here for the workshop."

Damn right. I was not there for the effin workshop. You see, marriage is great. It is a wonderful and beautiful thing. However, you are not part of some cool club now and there is no reason for you to act better than me just because you are married. I'm not a cynic and I hope to get married someday but somebody shoot me before I act like that. Granted, I know several couples who have not changed one iota since marriage. And they are awesome. And I would like to thank each and every one of those folks for their stellar example.

4 comments:

Matt G said...

I feel you. But how awesome are the married couples you know who only become more welcoming, engaged, hospitable as a result of their marriage. Have you ever visited married friends of yours and felt tag-teamed by hospitality?
Cheers to them.

mags said...

Heck yeah. Like Erin and Matt T-tine. Holy crap. They practically became super-hero-couples. And Darren and Anna C? And Nick and Krista S-S? Same deal. Those people ROCK. They should have matching costumes complete with capes and gadget-belts.

Kay Pea said...

Totally. I totally do. And thats why the post is sort of a moot point at this moment. after some personal reflection, I've come to the conclusion that the married people who act better than me were people I was never really close to to begin with so I shouldnt be surprised.

Lagartija said...

I can't believe I'm not invited!! :C pouting face