Tuesday, December 18, 2007

2 Sticks and a Knife

So my cousin has been out in the mountains of Utah working at a wilderness therapy program for troubled teens. Its a pretty heavy deal but he's doing awesome and the work sounds challenging but fulfilling. Anyway, one of things they do with the kids is teach them to start a fire without matches or any lighter fluid. Nothing else but two sticks, tree bark, and a knife. I was doubtful about the process but then he demonstrated for me right there on the porch in the middle of a Chicago neighborhood. And let me tell you, it was the COOLEST thing I've ever seen. I want to explain it but wont be able to do it justice. However, watching him make this primitive fire was like being transported in time and I was a caveman smacking my head against the wall while a smarter homosapien was rubbing two sticks together and creating magic. Okay, thats a stretch...but it was like that. It earned my utmost respect and admiration. So thats that. The quickest way to my heart is to make me a fire using two sticks and knife.
Elsewhere, our bathroom is going through some renovation. Basically we have water damage to our bathroom floor which is causing cracked tiles which is causing the ceiling below to slowly cave in which is causing our creeping landlord to come over more than usual. So anyway, the bathroom is being renovated (FINALLY) because my landlord finally got the point that when I'm sitting on the toilet, I feel like I'm going to fall right through the floor. So in one sense I'm happy about the problem finally being fixed but another part of me worries that a 3-day job is going to turn into a 3-week job and I'm going to end up with some sick ill-matching tile on the floor.

Although this made me laugh when I came home:

Awesome. Now we can do our laundry and do our business at the same time. Two birds, one stone.

2 comments:

Joe White said...

I want to put a toilet in my car. That'd really save time in the morning.

mags said...

Or you could get a pee-evaporator. I working on getting a patent.