Monday, November 19, 2007

Nannies vs Babysitters

What is the difference really? In my mind, there is no difference. However, if you want me to come up with a difference, I could arguably say that a nanny is during the day and babysitters come at night. However, I didnt think there was a huge distinction between the two...until today.
I was bannying (my portmanteau for nanny + babysitting) today and my young charge and I decided to go outside and race up and down the sidewalk. As we were reveling in our little game, a neighboring mom approached with her little girl. My young charge and the young girl were quite familiar with eachother so they set off to play some spritely game of their own. As this typical-mom-who-lives-in-Old Town-but-would-probably-be-better-suited-living-in-Lincoln Park and I watched the young girls, she asked the usual how are you, whats your name type questions. I responded with all the right answers. She then asked, "Now, are you the regular nanny?" I didnt know how to respond because a.) it was really early b.) I hadnt had anything to eat c.) The woman was carrying a grocery bag with feminine products and other "items" that were broadcasting her sex life in plain sight so I was distracted and d.) the woman I babysit for is super cool and I dont necessarily nanny or babysit, I just hang out with the kids while she works in her home office for a few hours.

I said, "Naw, Im just the..." and before I could finish this mom looked down her nose and finished the sentence for me with an air of disdain, "...babysitter." As if the very word made her feel all dirty inside and out.

I smiled politely and then grabbed her bag of groceries and made like a hammer thrower and flung her belongings as far as I could into oncoming traffic.

6 comments:

mags said...

That sucks. You should stick with nanny from now on.

Also, thought you should know Em started an invite-only blog and currently has a poll going to determine who she should invite as a reader next... you're one of the potential lucky winners. Best of luck to you... I voted for K.C. myself... such a charming girl...

Lagartija said...

HA ! I wish you really did throw her bag!

Apparently, some people get very pissy about the distinction. Here's just one thread on this topic on Milwaukeemoms.com : http://forums.milwaukeemoms.com/forum/Blah.pl?m-1191443086/s-14/highlight-nanny/#num14

You can login under Maggie's ID " pigeon831 password: maggie

mags said...

You BEAST, lagartija. Check this out KP and tell me if I'm wrong...

Liz has this "milwaukeemoms" list/forum she goes on, but other moms can tell when she's on, what she's saying, (what she's reading?), so to avoid this she made an alias "for me" that she uses so she doesn't have to own up to what she does. And furthermore, she had the nerve to use MY EMAIL addres. Not my junk email address. THE EMAIL ADDRESS I USE REGULARLY and sign me up for emails to listings so it notifies me when any random mommy comments on something I don't really care about or even look at....

Madness, I tell you! Obscenely outrageously abusive Madness!! I demand compensation or at least groveling to attone for the constant assault of my inbox.

Kay Pea said...

hear hear...largartija this is shocking behavior, even from you. shame. shame.

Lagartija said...

Okay, okay... you're right, I'll change it.

Here's the new one:
username: asianKP
password: katie.

Lemme know what you think of the article!

Erin said...

I identify with this bizarre nanny-babysitter semantics syndrome.

I was a nanny once. I LOVED the kids, but was always REALLY confused as to what my actual function was, since Mom was ALWAYS there, telling me what I was doing wrong, unless she wanted to take a nap. ANYWAY. She went on a playdate with us (me + four kids + Mom) and the hostess-mom said "oh, and you must be the nanny!" I said "Yes, that's me" and "my boss" said "no, she's the BABYsitter. I hate the term nanny." I was all....um, I quit. Because that was pretty much the stupidest thing EVER. (I didn't really quit, actually. The infant's first word was my name. That's when I quit. It was just too weird.)