Thursday, October 25, 2007

Hip and With It

My friend got me a subscription to this magazine for my birthday. The tagline reads: Signs of life in Music, Film & Culture. Now, they definitely have the music angle covered by including a free CD in each issue of the magazine highlighting some up and coming, popular indie rock groups. The kind of bands that would find themselves on the next O.C. mix or playing at Pitchfork Music Festival or any of those other music festivals that claim to have the greatest emo bands in one setting. I enjoy it though. Thats a brilliant angle...include a free CD of the bands you are interviewing and then some...great marketing move. However...I'm not a huge fan of the all the music...in fact, some of it downright disgusts me. How come the popular music, the next great bands always sound to me like they are screaming nonsensical lyrics to some choppy beat. Is that "emo" music? I dont get it. Bands like Beruit, The Weakerthans, Son Volt...I dont get you. You can argue that I dont have an appreciation for music and that might be true but does it even qualify as music? I understand I am way out of my league for writing about music...but then again writing about music is like dancing about architecture. Exactly. Sounds like a lyric from one of the aforementioned bands.

However, I do enjoy these folks so if you have a chance, you should check them out or feel free to come by...I'll give you the free CD.

Iron and Wine-Boy with a Coin
Big Bear- Nashville
Manu Chao-Mala Fama

1 comment:

mags said...

Liz and I are going down to your area tonight to see Bella with Steve.

I know you already saw it, but we're going to the late showing and will probably be crashing at Chris&Caro's, so maybe you'd like to join us all for brunch Sunday morning? Steve was lamenting how he hasn't seen you at all since he moved there...