Friday, July 20, 2007

A Perpetual State of Nonage

Today's word of the day was too good to pass up. See below.

nonage \NON-ij; NOH-nij\, noun:
1. The time of life before a person becomes legally of age.

2. A period of youth or immaturity

This got me thinking. What does one call a period of senescence and maturity? So basically, we are all nonages until we reach a point of maturity...graduation, college, marriage, etc. and then we are an age-age and promptly given a number? Hmm...I could accept that. I have quite a few friends still living in nonage...and loving it. Whoever said 30 was the new 20 is clearly not embracing their nonage. People need to learn to stop hatin' and start participatin'.

I hereby institute the Revolution of Nonage 07. We will have a large global concert, Live Earth-style, and Aerosmith will reunite to sing our theme song, "Living on the Nonage" and we will all throw caution to the wind. I can hear it now:

Tell me what you think about your sit-u-a-tion
Complication - aggravation is getting to you
We're living in the nonage
You can't help yourself from agin'
Livin' in the nonage
You can't help yourself at all
Livin' in the nonage
You can't stop yourself from agin'
Livin' in the nonage

And then Al Gore will come on stage, via satellite, and say, "I invented the nonage," then Bon Jovi will hop onstage with random ass performers like John Mayer, Fergie, and Celine Dion.
Bon Jovi will start with a raging:

Hold on, we're halfway there
Hold on, livin' on a prayer
Take my hand
We'll nonage I swear
Hold on, living on praaaaayer.

Then Fergie will chime in:

I'm Nonag-ilicious(so delicious)
My body stay vicious
I be up in the gym just working on my fitness
Al's my witness (oooh wee)

Stage goes dark and John Mayer takes the stage standing in a sweaty locker room with guitar. His soothing voice says, "I'm super hip and intelligent. I stand for greater causes. Oh yeah, I'm really deep, you can tell by my lyrics."

He continues:

So we keep waiting (waiting)
Waiting on the world to age
We keep on waiting (waiting)
Waiting on the world to age.

Then Celine Dion jumps on stage. She joins hands with all the performers including Al Gore who has now changed into a velour jump suit with the words "ageless" across the butt.

She pounds her chest as the entire stage sings:

Every night in my dreams,
I see me, I feel me
Age can touch us one time, nonage lasts a lifetime
Our age will go on and on.....

Oh. If only. Asiankp can dream, right?

2 comments:

mags said...

That's.... really funny and disturbing. I'm glad I don't have your dreams...!!

Joe White said...

hilarious. I think my aunt has a velour jumpsuit just like that.