Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Not Relocating, But Still Moving

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good, O Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood."


This quote is not really applicable but its been running through my head the last couple of days. A few months ago, I was offered an opportunity to move to D.C. with the family that I work for. As exciting as this prospect was, I have decided to decline. Not that I don't love cherry blossoms or the Capitol Building or the fabulous friends I have there, its just that Chicago is my home. I'm comfortable here, my parents are only 1.5 hours away (as opposed to a 2 hr. plane ride) and well, I'm happy here. At first, I thought the idea of moving to a new city would be perfect, it would jump start my life in a number of ways and force me to reassert myself in a new place. But then I realized, I don't need a new city to do that, I only need to harness my chi within and do it here. It came down to the fact that there are things I need to correct within myself regarding motivation, direction, drive, commitment, etc. and I don't need a new city to do that. Rather, I would be using the new city backdrop as an excuse already which is the very thing I'm trying to avoid. So, that is that. I'm not relocating, but I'm moving. Forging ahead. To what, I'm not really sure but I'm thinking of going back to school to get my interpretor's license. And for more info on that, you'll have to schedule some face time.


However, do not despair D.C. folks. I will be there for the ENTIRE month of November and possibly some of December as well. I'm going to be out there helping the family with the transition and watching the boys while the head goes on interviews and other such things. And on that note, I'm looking for a place to stay....so if you know of someone...anyone...you have a couch...etc. I can offer a small amount of payment or maybe some free babysitting...we can work out the brass tax later...


Until November then...

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Can't wait to see you! We certainly have some space!

Alissa said...

Ditto, sister-friend. But only in exchange for free babysitting. MKO might be your best option. ;)