Monday, September 28, 2009

Accent this...

I have a prospective client meeting tomorrow to pick up some more gigs. This family is a friend of a friend and I'm sure everything will go swimmingly. Except this family is British. And absolutely British.

My first phone message went something like this, "Hello Kay Pea, this is Mrs. UK. I'm a friend of a friend. Wondering if you might be interested in some babysitting perhaps once a month or so? Feel free to ring me on my mobile or call the house directly."

I call back and we exchange pleasantries and she says, "Well, yes, let's see, perhaps you could come over around 3pm. We'll have some tea and Child #1 should just be getting back from elementary so you can meet her. Child #2 is just about 3 and he's quite cute. They are quite lovely children. I'm sure you need to be getting on then, we'll fancy a meeting later."

Brilliant. I will enjoy this. Although, those of you who know me well know that I have a weird tendency to try and imitate an accent if its spoken at me. It's some weird thing I noticed when I was travelling Europe and I'm told its quite annoying. I only hope I can maintain my decorum and not screw this up.

2 comments:

Bird Feed said...

How lovely! You'll be brilliant!

Alissa said...

KP- I totally do that too but I think that I am probably more annoying than you. I think it's hilarious when I hear you do it. You can come and fake accents with me all you like.