Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Old Lady

I'm starting to feel like a real old lady. My back and neck are constantly hurting. I can't sit in the same position too long without having to get up and walk around. Varicose veins are starting to seep in. I watched a documentary last night about septua-and-octo-genarians and bawled my eyes out. I'm about 3 cans of Ensure away from becoming the spitting image of my Nanna at 80.
I become increasingly cranky and ornery after dinner. I'm this close to hitting up Kohl's for a mu-mu and a stocking cap. And don't get me started on granny panties. Those have been in the drawer since '99.

Despite all this, I manage to live with some very vibrant, sassy and young ladies who attempt to keep me "young and fun." They have turned our apartment into a lounge of sorts which brings in all sorts of interesting characters. Their energy sometimes forces me to sit in my room alone and cry about my gray hairs and my "growing as I type" varicose veins. Yet, I am so thankful that they are here. And I would probably be dead already if they weren't.

Consider our now weekly summer schedule:

Monday-darts and beers at our local bar

Tuesday-Movie in the Park (Chicago does this every summer, they show movies on a big screen at several of the local parks around the city. Think drive-in-movie scene except its a huge lawn and there is wine and cheese.)

Wednesday-Game and/or Movie Night

Thursday-Bar Specials (side note: This is also a soccer night for me. Even old people need to exercise sometimes)

Friday, Saturday, Sunday-dancing or beach or sun-bathing or cookouts or neighborhood festivals or downtown or dining out and, on a rare occasion, sleep.

Thank goodness for the youth. They really are the leaders of tomorrow.

1 comment:

stongies said...

Whatevah Pry...I've SEEN your cool sunglasses and shoes. Old my ASS. I haven't been to a bar in years. ;)