Sunday, February 24, 2008

Ah Bartelby, Ah Humanity!

Have you ever found yourself in a room with company that you find completely crude and completely intolerable? In situations such as these, Asiankp does not have the proper moxie to just say whats on her mind and call people out on their BS. She would rather retreat into a quiet corner, thinking evil thoughts about said company until later she can discuss them with a sympathetic listener. I ask you, is it better to hold your tongue and avoid confrontation with strangers you hardly know but who ended up in your house anyway or speak your mind, say your peace, offend if necessary and then move on? You can pick and choose your battles but one must take into account the battleground and whether reinforcements can be brought in. In any case, I'm not sure whats worse...making things uncomfortable in your home and starting unecessary fisticuffs or keeping quiet when you know wrong is afoot.

2 comments:

The TV Girl said...

KP, I have been in this type of situation way too many times, so I get your situation. Over time I decided that no one has the right to make me uncomfortable in my home, and if they don't like that they can leave (and suck it). The only thing to do with assholes is tell them what they are.

mags said...

Ah, I knew it would devolve into that as I was leaving. That's too bad.

I usually will say enogh to let them know where I stand on it and that they're not appreciated. If they're gonna be foul,I'm not leaving them the excuse of ignorance. "oh, I didn't know you were offended! why didn't you say something!" But beyond making it clear where I stand and that I'm NOT pleased, I'm not getting much further involved, especially once they've already started drinking-- what progress is really going to be made?