Monday, February 12, 2007

Invasion of Privacy

Yesterday at work, I was watched. Yes, watched...the entire day. I'd like to think that my employers had something better to do that watch me on their newly installed security cameras but no, I was watched. Often times, people relish the idea of being on camera. They crave it. There is an instant attraction to be seen and heard no matter how insignificant your musings may be. This was not the case. Video cameras and I have a bad history. My own video camera was violently damaged in a shuffle that involved my dog, some ice, and a myriad of stuffed animals. Video cameras do not give me the added 10 pounds, they give me an added 20 pounds plus 3 more folds in my neck.
So, imagine my horror as I stopped to take a break at work today near the front desk. I had been in the back folding laundry for the past hour and wanted to breathe in some expensive healing scents. I paused to talk to the front desk girls who are wildly funny and picked up a magazine for perusal. Not a minute later, the phone rang. It was for me. On the other end of the telephone was my boss, aka, all purpose asshole. "Katherine," he said, "Do you not have enough work to do? I do not want you standing at the front desk reading a magazine, I do not want you going behind the desk. There is no need for any of this. You should not be reading magazines. The place needs to be clean. I need you to stay focused on your job of making the place clean. Do you understand?" Simple statement, annoying of course, but simple. The thing is I cannot convey tone here and that is what did the trick. I hate it when people say simple things in such a condescending manner that you feel small. I'm not an idiot. I was taking a break. But his voice and his tone made me feel as if I were 5 years committing the world's worst sin. His voice reminds me of a carnie swindling old ladies out of their bingo money. That and his wife dresses him. I need to find new job.

1 comment:

crysOakleee said...

I hope his children all have hang-nails.